Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Jack Frost Transformation + All About This Cosplay





                        
* I've put all my cosplay photos within the video, so I wouldn't have to spam it all in this post. If you would like to see them just skip towards the end.*

I fully intended to finish this cosplay in January. Then school, lethargy, and general lack of motivation prevented me from finishing it. I also intended to have three more cosplays finished by this time, but now what I lack is materials.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a simple starter cosplay. For the most part it was. The hardest part was the staff and the pants, mostly because they each took a lot of brainstorming and re-dos to get them done just right. I'm really happy with how this cosplay turned out, especially considering it was my very first one. I would say it cost me around $60 total, because of re-dos and such. The pants, hoodie, and ribbon are from wal-mart. I used Tulip brand fabric paint for the pants and hoodie and the staff was found in the woods and is held together with some bolts, nuts, and washers from the hardware store.

The Wig
I got this wig off of ebay for like $20. It came unstyled and plain and I ended up ruining a pair of shears and using a lot of gel to style the damn thing. But it turned out pretty damn good considering it was a cheap little wig. I have to do some adjusting on the sides to hide my real hair better.

The Hoodie
This wasn't even the original hoodie that I bought. I had gotten a dark navy blue one, but I realized (after I began painting it) that it was much too dark to be a Jack hoodie. I think I used about two tubes of fabric paint on this hoodie. I sketched out the design first with a white charcoal pencil and then painted it on.

The Pants
These pants were awful to work with. I bought a dark brown pair of jeggings from Wal-Mart and tried to make them lighter/rough up the texture of them with white fabric paint. It worked at first, because I watered it down, but then I got the bright idea to just paint it straight white and then remove a little bit of it with rubbing alcohol. Three tubes of fabric paint were wasted on these pants and almost a whole bottle of alcohol remover. I finally got tired of it and just went over it all with two tubes of a lighter brown fabric paint. I then sewed on some pieces of a light brown ribbon to the bottom. I also roughly cut off the bottoms of the pants.

The Staff
I originally bought three large dowel rods to make this staff, but then my uncle found me a staff in the woods that had a natural crook, so I used it instead. He cut it into pieces and drilled holes into it for me and I painted it. It's definitely not an exact replica, but it still went great with the outfit. Helping me with my staff is what inspired him to take me to my very first con (upcoming post/video about that!). He and my aunt took me and I am so very thankful that they did. After we got back to the hotel from the con, Rise of the Guardians was actually playing on T.V. and he decided that we should definitely improve on the staff and make a more accurate crook shape.




No comments:

Post a Comment